Shopping can be an addiction that can get out of hand. We have all seen the show Hoarders or known someone with an Amazon Prime account that orders too much stuff and then watches the FedEx, UPS and Amazon Prime delivery drivers compete to deliver tons of items all at the same time. We all know the ‘serial shoppers’ that buy items, leave the tags on as they wear them, and then return them for new items. Shopping addiction can be a rush and the feeling of buying new things can make one feel important, safe, and even secure.
Shopping boosts your serotonin and dopamine just like sex addiction, gambling, and internet addiction. Serial shoppers can go into massive debt, disrupt their sleep because they are up at all hours shopping online, aggravate family relationships, and maybe even lose their jobs due to their addiction. Some shopping addicts have been known to hide in the bathroom during work hours while ‘bidding’ on items on sites like eBay, ThreadUp, and more.
Shopping addiction signs and symptoms can include:
- Spending money when you are anxious, depressed, angry, or bored.
- Buying items on credit you can not pay for and hoping to ‘pay them back later’ but when the newness of the items wear off you are spending again and can not cover the new purchases either
- Feeling a rush when shopping, then guilt, shame, and remorse after you are done
- Obsessing over money and looking for ways to cut corners to buy more things
- Feeling obsessed to buy items or ‘lost’ if not shopping
- Shopping online if you cannot get to the store and buying strange items like toilet paper, spatulas, or towels on amazon prime.
- Hoarding items
- Buying items, leaving the tags on and returning them later
- Blackout drunk buying (shopping while intoxicated)
A lot of the shopping addiction qualities are similar to drug addiction and alcohol addiction with patterns of behavior, compulsivity, and the cycle of addiction. We can assist in breaking the patterns and the cycle.
We can customize any program to your specific needs, some of our most popular programs are below:
- 12 weeks of Shopping Addiction Coaching with a Certified Shopping Addictions Coach
- The Brain Health Recovery Method (ProRecovery RX for 30 days)
- 4 Days intensive onsite
- 30-day Shopping Sober companion
- The Brain Health Recovery Method (ProRecovery RX for 30 days)at is
What is a shopping addiction? Shopping addiction is a process addiction that occurs with an impulse control disorder component and it is defined as the overindulgence in ordering items online or in stores. Guilt, shame, remorse, and feelings of low self-worth are common after a shopping spree, as the serotonin and dopamine pathways in the brain are depleted.
How can I stop compulsive shopping? Shopping is a process addiction that’s considered compulsory in nature. You need to break the chemical, mental, and emotional ties of shopping to be able to fully recover from a shopping addiction. Seeking professional advice that can help you combat all areas is key. Just tearing up credit cards and telling others you are ‘on a shopping diet’ is not enough, professional help is a must.
How do I know if I have a shopping problem? If you are in debt, keep shopping, obsess on shopping, buy things only to return them after the newness wears off and your behavior is affecting your relationships, work, and mental health you probably need professional help.
What is compulsive buying disorder? This CBD is the term assigned to shopping addiction. Professionals use this term to describe an individual that is obsessed with buying items despite negative consequences in personal and professional life.